4SITE DC is a mixed Barcamp and presentation session for those interested in and working in promoting social innovation in the WANA Region. You are invited to attend, participate, and present your innovative ideas and approaches. Full details below.
Whether WANA or MENA, the need is there. With a rapidly increasing population and already serious social, political and economic challenges, the next 10 years (and beyond) will be challenging for the region. However, local innovators have the potential to rise to these and other challenges with the same level of ingenuity and determination that has been exhibited in the region over many centuries.
Full information and free RSVP at: http://4sitedc.eventbrite.com/
Add your ideas/insights for the Barcamp sessions at: http://barcamp.org/4SITEDC (or email us)
Follow Twitter: @4siteforum or #4sitedc
LinkedIn Event: http://events.linkedin.com/4SITE-DC-Sun-Apr-25-Fostering-Social/pub/299436
As President Obama stated in his address in Cairo in June 2009:
"It was innovation in Muslim communities that developed the order of algebra; our magnetic compass and tools of navigation; our mastery of pens and printing; our understanding of how disease spreads and how it can be healed.”
(source - http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/NewBeginning/)
How can we tap the expertise, resources and passion in the region and the wider Muslim world to tackle such pressing challenges as:
- Growing youth unemployment and radicalization
- Poverty and economic development
- Access to water, energy and education
- Sustainability and climate change
- Conflict reduction and political stability
The week of the Presidential Summit on Entrepreneurship in Washington, DC is a unique opportunity to discuss the role of entrepreneurs in addressing the many challenges and opportunities in the region. 4SITE DC will be held the day prior to the Summit and is open to all. This is an independent event that supports the aims and objectives of the monumental Presidential Summit. You are invited to participate, contribute, and present! See details below.
4SITE DC is the first event in the United States for the 4SITE Initiative (Investing in Sustainability, Innovation, Technology, and Entrepreneurship), following the first of an annual interactive conference in the Middle East focused on promoting innovation and entrepreneurship towards sustainable economic development and social impact. The 4SITE Forum was launched in Beirut, Lebanon in November 2009 as a 2-day conference. The event brought together entrepreneurs, investors and technologists from across the region and the world. 4SITE DC is the first of a number of planned events and activities in the United States and elsewhere.
We hope you can join us on Sunday April 25th to learn, discuss and innovate.
4SITE DC is organized by:
Any questions, or if you are interested in helping out, please contact us ASAP: <4SITE [at] therootspace [dot] org>
SCHEDULE for Sunday, April 25, 2010, in Washington, DC, 10am-4pm
- 10:00 - 10:15: Intros and overview of the day
- 10:15 - 10:30: Framing Intro
- 10:30 - 10:45: Q & A, Intros
- 10:45 - 11:00: Quick break, setup of first presentations
- 11:00 - 12:00: Six Rapidfire Presentations Part 1 - 5mins for presentation / 5 mins for Q & A each
- 2:00 - 12:30: Break / networking
- 12:30 - 13:30: Six Rapid fire presentations Part 2 - 5mins for presentation / 5 mins for Q & A each
- 13:30 - 13:40: Quick Introduction to Barcamp sessions
- 13:40 - 14:00: Break and session planning
- 14:00 - 14:45: Barcamp Session 1 (small breakout sessions)
- 14:45 - 15:30: Barcamp Session 2 (small breakout sessions)
- 15:30 - 15:45: Closing wrap-up, sharing of top points from each Barcamp session
- 15:45 - 16:00: Q & A / closing comments
- 16:00 onwards - dinner/s in nearby restaurants, Summit registration, etc
Full details and free RSVP at http://4sitedc.eventbrite.com